Thursday, September 27, 2012

Treat Sharer

Molly, Jocelyn, and I went to the commissary this morning. While it got a little rough toward the end (I really do NOT like grocery shopping, especially with the kids) we survived. As I'm loading groceries onto the conveyer belt, Jocelyn starts looking at the candy display with HUGE eyes. She asks if she can have one, and I decided it was worth rewarding her for not being a total terror (and therefore avoiding the tantrum that would have resulted from telling her no). She was having a very hard time picking just which one she wanted - it is a difficult decision after all - and the cashier was finished ringing up our food, so I just took whichever candy was in her hand and gave it to the man to scan. Turned out to be Rolo candies. Not the greatest choice for hot sticky little 3-year-old fingers, but it could have been worse.

When we got into the car, I gave Jocie one of the chocolates in her package. Molly of course saw this and started frantically asking to have one too. Not sure how she would respond, I asked Jocelyn if it was okay to give Molly one. Jocelyn said, "Sure, Mommy, she can have one!" and seemed very happy to be able to share her special treat with her sister.

Fast forward to this afternoon, and Jocelyn asked to have another candy after lunch. I said sure, and gave one to her. Then she said, "Mommy, I have to share with Ava and Molly too! How I can share with them?" (Ava was still at school and Molly had gone down for her nap.) Um, I'm sorry, have we met? Who is this child who is voluntarily sharing delicious food treats with her siblings? And sure enough, when we came home from picking up Ava, Jocelyn took two more Rolos out of the package and gave them to her sisters. I was so proud of Jocie's sharing spirit today. The selflessness of her actions just blew me away.

2 comments:

  1. I also went grocery shopping on Thursday and I had both kids. Ended up with groceries nearly spilling out the top of the basket. Get everything unloaded at the ckeck out line and realize my wallet was sitting on the couch in the living room AT HOME! Thank God for emergency credit cards hidden in the diaper bag. I apparently am a mean mom tho, cause no candy for mine at check out even tho they asked - and they had been pretty darn good atthe store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was funny, because I really can't remember the last time the kids got treats with me at the store - that's much more their daddy's deal. But I was glad I gave in this time, for the good that came out of it :)

    ReplyDelete