Saturday, September 15, 2012

Clean Up, Clean Up

This afternoon Ben took Jocelyn to the store while Molly was napping. This of course left Ava out, and she was pretty bummed not to be doing something fun or special. She went downstairs to watch a movie for a little while. I passed her at one point with the laundry basket, about to fold my third load of laundry for the day. She looked at me, thought for a second, and then said, "Mommy, I'm going to help you clean." And help she did! She cleaned much of the basement (which is impressive considering it seems to be at the point of needing professional help). She cleared and wiped down the kitchen table. She helped wash dishes as best she could, and loaded many into the dishwasher. She brought toys and other items that belong in her room upstairs and put them away. And she did all this cheerfully, glad to be spending time with me. And you know what? I loved getting to spend time with her (and not having to clean by myself while everyone else is enjoying themselves elsewhere). I'm not sure I ever jumped at the chance to help clean as a kid, so I definitely appreciate how rare it is that Ava is so willing to help me. She is maturing so much, and I love days like this when I can see it so clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment