Friday, September 7, 2012

Preschool Open House

Today Jocelyn got one step closer to her own first day of school. We went to the preschool to meet her teacher and classmates, as well as get some information for the upcoming year. She was really annoyed that we couldn't go straight from dropping off Ava at 8:45am (open house didn't start until 10). When we got there, she walked into her classroom, shook hands with both her teachers, and got right to work discovering her room and all it had to offer. I looked around the room, and it seemed most of the other kids were walking with their parents. A few were even clinging to Mom and Dad and not wanting to play at all. I don't know if Jocelyn would have noticed if I left the room. After the teacher spent a few minutes explaining some of the basic procedures to us, she asked if anyone had any questions. Jocelyn, sitting cross-legged on the floor, rose her hand. I cringed to hear what ridiculousness might come out of her mouth. But she said, "I want to color, and I don't know where the paper is." She had found the markers and crayons and wanted to make some art. I was amazed that she asked a relevant question politely and articulately. She was pretty disappointed she didn't get to spend more time with her teacher and friends, but she and I are now both really looking forward to the new friends and fun that Monday will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment