Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Peace and Quiet

The peace and quiet I am referring to is not exactly what may first come to mind. Today was kind of a frustrating day. I spent the first half of the morning prepping to host a playgroup at my house that ended up being two kids and one mom. Did my house need to be cleaned anyway? Yes. Should I treat one family the same as four or five families in the way I prepare for their arrival? Of course. But I'm human, and it was annoying nonetheless that I went to a lot of trouble for seemingly nothing. Then some jeans I ordered for Ava don't fit, and there's no easy way to exchange them for the size she needs. Oh, yeah, and then there's the normal everyday chaos that exists in my house.

Amid all the craziness and frustration, there was this moment: I allow the girls to play my tablet (or whatever game player they choose) for one hour each day. I try very hard to make sure they do not sit and watch each other and therefore spend even more time in front of a screen. I was in the middle of cleaning when I noticed it was WAY too quiet in the house. I realized all 3 were in my room, where Ava was having her Tablet Time. I walked in ready to shoo the other girls out, when I encountered this:


No fighting. No poking. Nothing but three little girls watching a Curious George clip together. They didn't even blink or look up when I snapped this picture. I guess sometimes a little bonding time, even if it involves frying one's brains with screen time, is worth the peace and quiet and sisterly love.

No comments:

Post a Comment