Saturday, August 25, 2012

2 Sides of the Coin

The first high point of my day came at dessert time. We had dinner with friends, and afterward the kids had popsicles. For anyone who may not know my kids very well, they like to talk. A LOT. It is rare to go an entire 3 seconds between answering one question and being asked another. I have times when my ears are ringing just from the sounds of my wonderful yet talkative daughters. But for a few blissful moments this evening, all was quiet. There was only the occasional slurping of popsicle juice to be heard. It was so wonderful, I very seriously basked in the glory of the silence.

Shortly after, in the car ride home, I had the radio on. Some song came on that my kids know, so of course they start belting out the words. I looked in my rearview mirror: Ava is swinging her hair back and forth (as the song mentions), Jocelyn is bouncing in her seat, and Molly is waving her arms in the air with the biggest dopey grin on her face. I had the sudden realization: while the silence can be nice at times, I was enjoying being serenaded just as much. Quiet can be a treat, but sometimes the noise of these girlies is equally enjoyable. I'm not even going to lie: all 4 of us were singing and laughing together all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment