Sunday, August 5, 2012

Old School

This afternoon I got to catch up with my old - no, let's say long-time - friend Ruth. Ruth and I went to high school together, and she's really one of only two or three people I make an effort to keep in touch with. Since high school, Ruth and I couldn't have taken more different paths. I went away to college; Ruth stayed in San Antonio. I got married right out of college and now have 3 kids; Ruth is still single with no kids. Ruth works full time as a CPA as well as competes nationally in badminton; I've had a part-time job from time to time but not left home for anything other than the occasional vacation. And yet, as soon as we sat down at our table yesterday we just picked right up where we left off. We check in with each other once or twice a year, understanding that we are busy with our lives and not intentionally ignoring the other. I don't have too many friends that have lasted throughout the years, but it was so nice today to catch up with someone who has shared so many years with me and knows me like few others do.

No comments:

Post a Comment