Sunday, June 3, 2012

Second Chances

Being a mom can often be frustrating. You spend millions of breaths telling your kids how to behave and why, yet they still decide to do whatever they please. Today I was reminded that all those breaths really aren't a waste, and children do truly live in phases.

Molly has been AWFUL at church the last 2 Sundays. Either Ben or I have had to take her to the back so as not to ruin Mass for everyone else. This morning wasn't even sure I wanted to try. But Ben and I opted to give it a go. I loaded up my purse with all kinds of goodies, and braced myself for the worst. By some miracle, she was a completely different child this morning. With a little help from some books, sippy cup, and goldfish crackers, Molly barely made a peep. Ben and I both were able to not just attend Mass but actually get something out of it - what a concept!

Later this evening at dinnertime, I called the girls to the table to have tortellini with mini chicken sausages. Ava and Molly ate without complaint. I knew from the start Jocelyn would be my challenge. In the past few months she has become a much pickier eater. One of the foods she really doesn't like is hot dogs, which to her were what the sausage looked like. I had given her only two pieces, and required she eat one before leaving the table. After a bit of protest, she actually ate both pieces. I was shocked! I hadn't expected her to even give in to one piece, much less two.

Just when I think I have things figured out or start to give up hope, my kids go and surprise me. I was glad Molly and Jocie stepped up to the plate and exceeded expectations today. I only hope I can remember these moments the next time I feel ignored or ridiculously repetitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment