Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mommy's Helper

Ava really likes to help out. I mean REALLY likes to help. I often find myself getting on her case about butting in where it's none of her business, or "helping" when I haven't asked and it's not in fact helping anyone. But today I was reminded just how a big a help she really is to me. For 2 days now Molly has been suffering from yet another weird fever, which results in her demanding to be held all day. While I admit I love some extra cuddle time, it's tough to take care of my other children at the same time. By lunch Molly had fallen asleep on my chest, so I asked Ava to make peanut butter sandwiches for herself and Jocelyn. She was glowing with excitement as she took care of making lunch. Then this evening when I was reading a book to Molly before bedtime, Ava sat down next to Jocelyn on her bed and quietly read her a Three Little Pigs story that Ava drew entirely herself a few days ago. (The book itself is quite impressive - 10 full color pages depicting the story of the 3 little pigs.) I know I could have handled the day without her, but it was so much easier with her help. She may help too much from time to time, but I am trying to wrangle back the frustration of that and just be grateful that Ava not only has the ability to help me on days like this, but the love for her family and desire to help out and make our lives easier and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment