Monday, June 25, 2012

Forgive, Forget, Move On

We got back to normal life pretty quickly. Unfortunately, it seems this included my children's uncanny ability to ignore every word that comes out of my mouth. After an entire day of asking my girls to do things and them not getting done, I was pretty well out of patience. I was dressing Molly after bathtime, and had asked Ava and Jocelyn to get out of the bath at least 2 or 3 times. Of course they were not listening. So I went in to the bathroom and YELLED at them to get out. This of course led to pouting and crying, but they finally did as they were told and dried off and dressed in pajamas fairly quickly.

As soon as they came downstairs, I pulled both of them aside. I explained how much I truly hate yelling at them, that it's not something I want to ever do, but when they keep ignoring me I feel it's the only way to get their attention. They both listened intently, and when I was finished speaking they apologized for not listening. We hugged, and they sat down to watch their evening TV program. It was nice that so soon after a pretty big blowup I was able to talk with them rationally and we could settle our differences. I am glad that my girls are getting old enough to make amends with, and that they get over such situations quickly without holding any grudges. Tomorrow may not be perfect, but we will be moving forward and not holding on to the past, and for that I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment