Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Brave but Weird

I've said this many times, and I believe it with my whole heart - my kids are weird. Seriously, sometimes they do things that are very atypical of most children. Today was Molly's 18-month well-child exam with the pediatrician. She did well as always, smiling and doing what the doctor asked of her. Then I was told Molly was up for 1 vaccine today. Honestly, vaccines don't stress me out anymore; I guess after 3 kids I've gotten used to the whole process. So the nurse comes in and I lie Molly down. I'm resting my hands on her upper body but not applying pressure so she doesn't panic from being held down. The nurse administers the shot, and I see Molly tense up and look at me with a frowny face. She sits up to see the nurse has put a Garfield band-aid on her leg. I say, "Ooh, look, a sticker!" Molly looks back at her leg, then starts examining the band-aid more closely. She was more upset when I had to cover her "sticker" up with her pants than when she got the shot! I've never seen a child handle shots so well. It's very odd, but I love my odd children and appreciate when their weirdness makes my life easier.

Oh, and when Ava heard Molly was getting a shot, she asked if she had to get one too. I said no, only Molly needed a shot today. Ava replies, "Aw man! I wanted to get a shot too, so I could be brave again." WHAT?!? What child says such a thing? Weird, I tell you. Just plain head-scratching weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment