Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thanksgiving Part Deux

Thanksgiving this last year was a quiet one for us. We didn't go anywhere or have anyone to our house. Because of this, our "feast" was pretty meager - it's a little hard to get motivated to make a bunch of food that I know my kids won't touch. A month or so ago Sharon suggested we have a Thanksgiving-redo of sorts. Hers had been less than ideal too, mainly since her husband was still deployed, and really... who needs THAT much convincing that turkey with all the fixin's is a grand idea?

So this evening we joined the Halls and the Foleys for our feast - 3 moms, 3 dads, 1 grandma, 1 five-year-old, 2 three-year-olds, 1 two-and-a-half-year-old, and 3 one-year olds. Think we're nutso? We probably are ;) But I have to say, it was one of the most chaotic, fun nights I've had. When I was a kid we never lived near our extended family. The closest we came was living near some cousins in San Antonio, but by the time we moved there all their daughters were already in or graduated from college, so we were only adding 2 adults to our family of 6. I imagine the chaos we experienced tonight is like that which often comes with extended family gatherings. The closest to quiet we ever experienced came when dessert was served (a surprise ice cream cake with my name on it - another birthday surprise!). When cake was not being inhaled, mayhem totally ruled the evening. And yet, as we were all stuffing our faces with all the AMAZING food (thanks again Sharon!) we parents noticed we didn't even really hear all the noise the kiddos were making at their own table. I occasionally (okay, often) feel guilty for not living closer to family for the girls' sakes. But nights like tonight are such great reminders that family is what we make it. And I feel so blessed to have found this loud, silly, sometimes ridiculous but always wonderful unofficial family.

The kids table - the closest I could get to everyone looking at the camera

Marian loved her some turkey ;)

Is this what the placemat is for?

Avery is an artist, the food is her medium

Fortunately, it was an extra and therefore clean

"helping" with the clean up


Ben is actually at the bottom of the pile of squealing children


Molly helping me blow out my candles

No comments:

Post a Comment