Friday, March 2, 2012

Momma Time

I spent the evening enjoying great food and even better company. Two of my very favorite "mom friends" invited me to dinner tonight to celebrate my birthday, and Sharon, Amanda, Amanda's mom Pat, and I spent THREE HOURS stuffing our faces and gabbing. Spending time together is not a rare occurrence - I see each of these women at least once a week. But we usually get together for playdates with our kids. This means while our children may go for stretches of time playing together and leaving us to have adult conversation, those conversations are constantly being interrupted to tend to some little person's needs or complaints. Tonight there were no interruptions... and it was glorious. I'm not going to pretend, we talked mostly about our husbands and kids, because that's where we're all at in our lives. But I don't feel that my me-time should be devoid of my family. At this stage of my life they take up most of my time and energy, and it seems silly to pretend they don't exist just because they're not sitting next to me. But as I got in the car and looked at the clock on the dashboard, I was in complete disbelief that it was as late as it was. Time flew as we were all having a blast. I'm fairly confident my lack of sleep will once again catch up with me when little girls wake up bright and early, but the laughs and stories shared with these incredible women and wonderful friends were totally worth it. I'll just have to remind myself of that in the morning when the sleep deprivation kicks in...

No comments:

Post a Comment