Thursday, March 8, 2012

Donuts with Dad and Supermom

My first warm fuzzy of the day came this morning with Donuts with Dad at preschool. Every spring they choose one morning to invite the fathers (or other significant adult) of the kids to come to the classroom and share a donut and water and spend some time with the preschooler. The kids make gifts, it's a very cute event. (There is a Mother's Day Tea in May for moms too.) Ava and Jocelyn have been talking about this day for WEEKS now, and were so giddy to have their Daddy come visit them at school for a morning. So he would have time in both rooms, we switched back and forth halfway through the 30 minute event, so I was in one room while he was in the other. So special to see that Daddy-daughter relationship growing stronger each day.





A few weeks back I wrote about how much I appreciated Ben making most of the grocery store trips because grocery shopping is far from something I enjoy. Remember that? Well, today I had no choice but to go to the commissary. Without Ben. But with ALL three girls on my own. To say I was apprehensive about the success of this venture would be quite an understatement. I have gotten to the point in motherhood where I rarely bring things to occupy my children - I have a few books in my purse, along with Molly's water sippy cup, but other than that you're on your own bucko. Today, I packed snacks for all 3 girls. I NEVER bring food for them anymore. That to me was a big indicator of just how desperate I was for this to not go horribly.

And do you know what? It didn't! In just over an hour I had gotten everything on my list. (I'm sure there was a thing or two left off the list, but I'm not expecting miracles here.) I was buying what I hope will be enough food to last us the next two weeks, and by the last aisle or two Jocelyn had to give up her seat to make room for a few more items of food. But there was no yelling. There was no fit throwing in the middle of an aisle. We found our food, paid for it, got it all into the car, and got it home in one piece. And whereas I usually put the groceries away for Ben when he's done the shopping, he wasn't home so I brought the bags in and put everything away too!

When I was talking to Ben about all this at one point, he informed me that he's never taken all three of the girls on his own (I hadn't ever paid attention one way or the other). And I have to say, I was pretty darn proud of myself for having everything go so smoothly. I feel anytime we go somewhere we look like a circus side-show with all the kids talking and me never really having it all together. For once I was able to fake being Supermom, and while I don't expect a repeat performance ANYTIME soon, I will take a moment this evening and relish in my rare accomplishment.

SUCCESS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great job!! :) Kaitlyn and I did a marathon shopping trip on Tuesday while Josh was at school and I had to put her out of the cart to make room for purchases. While she ran away from me a time or two, she still got a few compliments on her behavior (when she was minding) to make me feel pretty proud. Awesome for you to take all three and kudos to the girls for helping mom and not driving her crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so nice when other people take the time to compliment well-behaving children! I rarely do - probably because I'm too busy keeping track of my own kiddos - but it's something I definitely hope to make a concerted effort to do in the future. It makes the kids feel good about themselves, and is a nice boost for their proud parents too :)

      Delete