Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Allure of Chuck E.

Today we took the whole family to the birthday party of one of Jocelyn's classmates. This party happened to be at Chuck E. Cheese. It seems we have entered the stage in our parenting when there is at least one Chuck E. Cheese birthday party a month to attend. My kids couldn't be happier - all of them, even Molly, were getting in the car saying, "Yay, Chuck E. Cheese!" For me, on the other hand, it's a little less exciting. It's loud, the food is minimal, I end up chasing my kids around as they play games not as well as I could which annoys me more than is rational. Then we spend 10 minutes deciding which 25 cent toy we're going to buy with our 100 tickets. It seems like such a waste of time and money, it pains me going there each time.

But then we spent the two hours at this party. The girls had an amazing time. They played games, ate pizza and cake, got their prizes, and had smiles on their faces every second. And as I saw this I found myself thinking, this place really isn't so bad. I mean, it's still loud and germy, but I can stand it every once in a while for the fun my kids have. I watched them and remembered how excited I used to be when I'd get to go to Chuck E. Cheese. Sometimes growing up is overrated; I'm trying to remember that more and more as we encounter these events that are not so fun for me but that bring such joy to my girls' day.

No comments:

Post a Comment