Monday, January 14, 2013

More Baby Snuggles

Today I finally got to meet baby Catherine. I dropped Ava at her Religious Ed class and headed to the Foleys to meet her. (When Ava found out where we were going while she was in class, she made me promise to take a picture of Catherine and put it on the computer so she could get to see her too.) We got there, and she was actually a little awake. I raced to wash my hands, and held her the entire hour that we were there. She squirmed once or twice, even made a noise or two, but overall just slept. I stared at her and basked in the wonderfulness of a newborn. Jaxon is still little, but Catherine is a true newborn, still all curled up in a ball and not yet opening her eyes to take in the world around her. There is something so precious and wonderful about the trust of a newborn. Catherine wanted to sleep sitting up with her chin resting in my hand. To look at her, it seemed a very uncomfortable position. But she liked it, and knew that I would hold her there and keep her safe until I handed her off to the next person who would do the same. She doesn't know doubt or mistrust, only love and safety. Having my own newborns is of course special, but I am really loving this time with other newborns that, while they are not my own flesh and blood, I love dearly and can't wait to watch grow into incredible young people.


No comments:

Post a Comment