Thursday, January 17, 2013

Drama and Dancing

This afternoon all hopes of having an even semi-dramaless child were completely dashed. I was putting Molly in bed for her nap. She was holding a tiny My Little Pony basket, probably the size of a quarter in diameter. Knowing that she has a tendency to still put things in her mouth absent-mindedly, and not wanted to be stressed every second she was napping, I told her the "goody bag," as she was referring to it, had to sleep on her dresser until quiet time was over. She was fine with that... until she actually put said goody bag on said dresser. THEN she lost her mind. Sticking to my guns, I put her in her bed, kissed her, and left the room. It took a good 20 minutes for her to calm down and go to sleep. And for those entire 20 minutes, I kept hearing her repeat, "My goody bag! I can't believe it! Oh, my goody bag!" I mean, really?!? What 2-year-old knows "I can't believe it"? How does Molly even know that? But the dramatic tone in her voice of the tragedy that had befallen her laid to rest any hopes I had of having a single low-maintenance child. Oh, I love my girls, but this is how I know that God has quite the sense of humor.

A few hours later, I picked Ava up from school. Ben was home, so he kept the younger two and I was able to walk to get Ava rather than sit in the kiss-and-ride line. When she saw me, Ava ran up to me and looked back to her teacher assistant, saying "Bye, Mrs. Burgin! I'll be sure to wear my pj's inside out!!" Um... huh? I asked Ava what in the world she was talking about. She very animatedly informed me that her class had done a snow dance before leaving school, and that her teachers had told them exactly what to do to make sure it snowed. Apparently, if you want it to snow, you must flush ice cubes down the toilet, put a spoon under your pillow, and wear your pajamas inside out. Oh, and do some crazy dance moves claiming to be a snow dance. Which Ava was sure to do for 20 minutes straight before dinner tonight. I had to convince her that interrupting her dance to eat dinner was okay. I unfortunately also had to prep Ava for the likelihood that all of her tricks would prove futile, as the chance of us getting snow somehow went from 80% to nothing. But it was still so fun to see how excited she was to have learned the tricks to make it snow. One of her classmates had been walking home with her mom about 10 feet in front of us, and I could hear her telling her mom exactly what Ava had been sharing with me, just as excitedly. They may not remember what she did in math or science today, but they will certainly remember the secret way to make it snow for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment