Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Supergirls

Today was another one of those Plan B days. We had some last minute guests: last night just after 8pm our friend Logan dropped off Lillian and Marian to stay at our house while he met Amanda at the hospital to welcome what turned out to be their third daughter, Catherine, into the world. So as we got back into our regular routine today with Jocelyn and Ava returning to school, we had two extra friends tagging along for the ride.

I cannot begin to describe how AMAZING these five little girls were in the 21 hours I had them all. First, I was a little nervous for how everyone would sleep - the Foley girls didn't get to our house until around 8:15pm and were almost immediately changed into pj's and sent off to bed. It was a little after 9 by the time everyone was quiet (Molly proving to be the most rambunctious - she is SO not ready to share a room!), but I didn't hear another peep out of anyone until 7am this morning. I of course slept terribly, jumping at every odd noise or cough I heard, but I was happy I was the only one who woke up sleep-deprived this morning.

And the rest of the day was more of the same. I was really proud of Lillian and especially Marian, who is only 2 and therefore probably didn't understand at all what was going on. They went with the flow, eating different foods, following a different daytime schedule, sleeping in different places, and all with no complaint. They didn't bicker with each other or cry at the smallest thing or act out, which I would totally anticipate with kids who are experiencing such a huge life event. They played great and were kind and polite from the moment they came into my house until the moment they left. They were wonderful guests, and I would have them stay with me again anytime.

I was equally proud of my own kids. Because I was being very sensitive to what Lillian and Marian needed to feel safe and comfortable, my kids' needs were put on the back burner. I snuggled a lot with Marian because she is congested and was feeling puny on top of her environment being flipped upside down. I was a little nervous at how Molly would handle sharing me, but she never acted bothered in the slightest. Jocelyn and Ava were annoyed that I still made them go to school, and were so happy to help take care of their friends and have a sleepover and extra long playdate. They seemed to understand that their friends needed my attention a little more than them today, and were okay with sharing their Momma with their friends.

Amanda and Logan didn't find out if they were having a son or daughter until Catherine was placed into their arms. Now knowing they have joined the 3-Daughter Club (or Estrogen Hell, as Ben might refer to it), I couldn't be happier for this family. And I can't wait to meet Catherine and welcome her into our makeshift family. She is going to be a very lucky little girl to have such great examples in her big sisters, and hopefully my daughters, to guide her and show her the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment