Thursday, January 31, 2013

Changing Tides

I remember for months after Molly was born I would look at her, then Ava and Jocelyn, and marvel that in fact the age gap between Jocelyn and Molly (22 months) was smaller than the gap between Ava and Jocie (28 months). Ava and Jocelyn have played together and been friends for so long, it seemed Molly would never catch up to her big sisters.

Today I saw just how far we have all come. Jocelyn and Molly were playing some make-believe role-playing game - just the two of them. They were in their own little world and completely content in it. I meanwhile got to sit with Ava for 10 or 15 minutes while she showed me her science journal from school. It was almost surreal to see that Ava is growing now to the point where Jocelyn and Molly have as much if not more in common with each other as they do with their biggest sister. It seems like we made this transition in the blink of an eye. I can't believe that my newborn who would never keep up with her sisters is now 2 and playing a very active role in her sisterly relationships. It brings a somewhat bittersweet smile to my face, but a smile nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment