Friday, November 30, 2012

Little Dancer

Tonight Ava began learning a special dance she's doing this year. She and one other girl her age are dancing a "quartet" with two of the older girls (our two babysitters, actually). They came up with this idea at the beginning of the year, and Ava has been asking to start practicing ever since. Tonight was finally the night. Because of the schedule, the girls didn't have their practice until 7:15, after Ava had already danced 2 hours in her other classes. I wasn't sure she was going to be mentally up for such a long night.

I am not sure I could have been more wrong. She was so excited there was not a hint of tiredness in her little body. They had their 30-minute rehearsal, at the end of which they had learned about 25 seconds of their routine. I was just so taken aback by how she is growing up so fast and still such a little girl all at once. The concept of the dance is the older girls showing the younger ones how wonderful it is to be young. Ava is so small physically, but could not seem to be growing faster in my eyes. The thing that I am most amazed by is her understanding and appreciation of this special opportunity. She and I have talked about how hard she is working in her regular classes, and behaving at home, and how doing special dances like this are rewards for such hard work. She knows it's not a right or something to be taken for granted. I see a renewed passion for dance in her. It is truly special to watch, and I can't wait to see where the rest of the year takes her.

No comments:

Post a Comment