Friday, November 16, 2012

Pajama Day

Ava goes to a fantastic elementary school. We knew when we researched the area that the school was great by the numbers - test scores and success rates and all. But there is an intangible spirit that is so special. Yesterday I received an email from Ava's teacher that for no real reason, just for fun, the kindergarten classes were going to come to school dressed in their pajamas. When I told Ava as she was getting her clothes out last night, she could not have been more excited. This morning she not only put on a fresh set of pajamas - Fresh Beat Band concert t-shirt and cotton pants with candies patterned on them - but she had me put her hair in "messy bun" pigtails so she looked like she had just woken up. (She wanted to skip brushing her teeth to give herself a true just-out-of-bed feel, but I managed to discourage that step.) She had a great day, so great Jocelyn seemed to decide that wearing pajamas was the new trend, and as soon as we came home from taking Ava to dance Jocie ran upstairs and changed into her own pajamas. It seemed she and her friend Lillian were thinking alike, as Lillian came over for dinner this evening in her flannel nightgown as well. I have always been a fan of comfort over style, but my children do not often seem to follow such a line of thinking. I enjoyed watching them have so much fun doing something as silly as wearing pajamas during the day. It gives me hope that they will one day embrace my love for comfy sweats and pj's over the more stylish alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment