Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Peek-A-Boo

At the end of each day, as I sit to write this blog, I look back on the day and think of what one (or few) moment stands out that brought a smile to my face. Oftentimes it ends up not being what I expected to write at the beginning of the day. For example, today was Jocelyn's Thanksgiving program at school. It was very sweet, full of prayer, songs, and food to share with family and friends. It was a very nice time. And yet, my blessing I choose to write about today came in a much smaller moment.

I had brought Molly upstairs to change a NASTY diaper. When she was clean and dressed, I sat down in the rocking chair in her room. It sits in a corner, so there is a little space behind the chair that Molly has taken to using as a little hidey-hole. There are a few toys back there, as well as a book or two. Molly crawled back behind the chair, and then stuck her head out to one side and said, "Peek-a-boo Mommy!" I pretended to be startled, which made Molly laugh and dart back behind the chair. Then she poked her head out the other side and did the same thing. She did this a few times, until at one point before she was ready I turned around suddenly and said, "Peek-a-boo Molly!" She shrieked so loudly - it was as if we hadn't been playing this game for 3 minutes already and she was completely taken by surprise. We continued playing peek-a-boo in her room for a good 10 minutes before she ran off to do something else. Amid our crazy days full of disciplining and correcting and arguing, it was nice to have this quiet moment of playtime one-on-one with Molly. It wasn't the flashiest or most elaborate moment of the day, but I am learning that the small moments are just as important to cherish as the big ones, and this is one small moment I was happy to experience today.

No comments:

Post a Comment