Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Peaceful Drive

Today was one of those days when I simply spent way too much time with my children. They were not SO horribly behaved, but by lunch we were just all grating on each other's nerves. We went out to dinner, mainly because that was our plan all along but also because I hoped the change of scenery would snap us all out of our funk. It worked for a while, but toward the end of the evening Jocelyn started to melt down and I ended up taking her an Molly home early while Ben and Ava waited for the check. As we pulled out of our parking spot, both girls were screaming at me, which seemed par for the course today. Jocie asked me to turn on some of their music, and I did because I was to tired to argue.

About 2 miles from the house, after having driven for about 10 minutes, I realized that the music playing was the only sound in the car. Both girls had fallen silent almost the whole way home. Afraid one or both may have fallen asleep, I called back to them to see how they were doing. They both responded. But in the meantime, my shoulders had relaxed and I was not nearly as irritated as I had been all day long. Thanks to things like this blog, I have begun to better appreciate these small moments in my days. It was not life-changing, and the aggravation kicked back up about 15 seconds after walking into the house, but I took a moment to appreciate the peace while it lasted, and remember that even on the craziest of days peaceful moments do in fact exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment