Saturday, November 17, 2012

Roomie Love

Today had many small blessings. Just before dinner, when the girls were getting irritable and impatient from hunger, Jocelyn and Molly found some containers of bubbles and occupied themselves long enough for dinner to finish cooking. Then Ava was feeling puny from having pulled a muscle in her abs, so I got to spend a solid 45 minutes cuddling with her while watching college football on the couch.

The highlight of the day, however, came at the end of the day when I caught up on the phone with my old college roommate Sarah. We lived together 3 out of the 4 years I went to A&M, and share a very special bond. She really is more than a friend to me - she's more like family. We don't have a ton in common, but we spent more hours than I could possibly imagine talking about life and all that it involved. We've shared life's ups and downs, from deaths of loved ones to my engagement and wedding and everything in between. I don't remember the last time we talked before tonight - it's been several months to be sure. Our schedules always seem to clash and we play phone tag for days before actually getting to talk, and usually even those conversations are interrupted by kids or schedules or something. Tonight, the fates were on our side, and we talked for almost 2 hours, getting caught up on each other's lives and talked about everything. Sarah is one of the few people I have known and stayed in touch with for such a long time. She has seen me grow from a scared baby freshman in college to a married mom of three. It stinks that we don't live closer or get to see each other more often, but I am truly thankful to have her in my life, and will take these occasional catch up times and treasure them until we talk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment