Friday, November 2, 2012

A New Angel

Today is All Souls' Day, and in the Catholic Church we remember all those we have lost, the impact they had on our lives, and pray for them and those they left behind. (At least that's how I observe this day.) It only seems appropriate, then, that I take this time to remember a brand new angel in heaven. Everett Allan just turned 5 years old a few weeks ago. He was born with MECP2 duplication syndrome, an incredibly rare genetic disorder. He leaves behind 3 older sisters, one of whom Ava dances with; I have written about his mother Heather once or twice in my blog. This entire family is the embodiment of strength and optimism, and I love and admire them more than I could ever say. While I'm sure no one expected Everett to live a long life, he had been doing relatively well of late, and I don't think anyone saw this coming. Today, on All Souls' Day, I ask you to say a prayer for Ev and his family, and all those dealing with the loss of loved ones. And hug those you love a little tighter tonight - I know I certainly did.

For more information on Everett, please visit http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/everettallan

No comments:

Post a Comment