Monday, November 19, 2012

Miss Manners

Naptime can present some very tricky situations. If the perfect conditions are altered or tampered with in any way, the results can be disastrous. This afternoon Molly threw me for a loop by falling asleep in the car after picking Jocelyn up from school, around 12:35pm. She normally doesn't go down until 1pm or so, but when I heard her snoring I was hopeful I could transfer her to her bed to finish up a nice, long nap.

I was wrong. I was halfway up the stairs when I felt her lift her head and start to look around. I did my best to swiftly yet gently walk her into her room and set her back down. It didn't work. She was up and wide awake. After I left her in her crib and closed the door, she cried and screamed at me for about 10 minutes. Then she whined for about 5 more minutes. Then she apparently decided to make the best of her crummy situation, and proceeded to play quietly in her crib with her stuffed animals for the next hour. I of course was still holding out hope that she might fall back asleep.

Around 2:45pm, I hear this sweet little voice come out of Molly's bedroom: "All done, Mommy! Out please?" For several minutes, she proceeded to not yell, but politely inform me she was done sitting in her bed and wished to come out of her room. I was less than thrilled that she napped for a total of 20 minutes today, but it was hard to be mad at such a gentle-voiced and polite little person. And to her credit, she never really melted down the rest of the day. It's nice to know my children are hearing me when I teach them good manners; this is at least some consolation when they are refusing to do what I wish them to - at least they are refusing politely.

No comments:

Post a Comment