Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

This morning I got to do the most amazing thing: I voted. I stood in line, was directed to a booth, made my selections, and was on my merry way. The process took 20 minutes total. But I was on such an amazing high the entire time. I smiled and said hello to every person working hard to make the voting process run smoothly. I joked with the people in line around me about spouses canceling out each others' votes and just how many phones calls and pieces of mail we received asking for our vote. Thousands upon thousands of adults picked up and proudly wore their "I Voted" sticker, probably the first non-nametag sticker they've worn in years. As I was leaving I held the door open for those coming in or going out after me, and actually ended up holding the door for almost a minute for 10 or so people. I finally was about to let go and leave when this little old man called out, "I'll give you a quarter if you hold it open for me!" I laughed, told him to keep his quarter, and opened the door one last time so he could go in and cast his vote.

I voted at Ava's elementary school after a conference with her teacher, so I didn't get to bring any of my kids with me. I was pretty bummed I couldn't share this experience with them. As I stood in line, I just thought about how truly blessed we as Americans are. It's no secret this year's campaigns have been ugly and painful to endure. But I have lived my entire life knowing that when I became an adult, I would get to vote for who I wanted to lead my nation. I have never had to fight for this right, or worry that my voice would not count. I have seen and heard many people say they do not plan to vote this year, because no candidates are worth voting for, or they live in a state where they feel their vote will not "matter" because they are in the minority party there.

EVERY. VOTE. COUNTS. I want to scream this at the top of my lungs. Look at the countries who have battled dictators, rebellions, and worse. There are BILLIONS of people on this earth whose opinion will never matter to their leadership, whose voices will never be heard because they are not allowed to express their views. How irresponsible of us to take this right, this PRIVILEGE, for granted. What happens if every other person thinks their voice doesn't matter? How many does it take for one silent voice to grow into a silent nation? I don't care if you're conservative, liberal, loud about your political views or keep them to yourself. We are blessed to live in a place where we can express our opinions freely. To abstain from this is a direct insult to every American who has ever had to fight or been denied this right, as well as an insult to those over the globe fighting for this right today.

What an amazing day! I can look at my three daughters and feel the world is their oyster. They will grow to make their own decisions and choose their own political leaders. I don't know if we will have the same views or make the same choices. But the fact that we all possess that right to choose - the right to vote - is one of the greatest blessings we Americans have been born with. It's not just a cliche. It's not a fad. It is a plea. No matter who you are, no matter what you believe... VOTE.

No comments:

Post a Comment