Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Third and Final Day

Today our break from reality thanks to Hurricane Sandy reached its conclusion. We had one more day "off," which included surveying the damage we were so blessed NOT to get and playing around a little bit more. It was overall a good day. There was the occasional spat or two - we have been cooped up together for 3 days, after all - but in general we all got along well and had lots of fun together.

The end of our little staycation also meant returning to the daily grind, which this week means Ben going into work at 2am. So after dinner he headed straight to bed to get a few hours sleep before what I'm sure will be a very long 13-hour shift. My struggle of course came with keeping the girls quiet so Ben could sleep as peacefully as possible.

Or so I thought. Turned out once again my children blew me away with their ability to step up and surpass my expectations. After an early bath they dressed quietly and came downstairs. I had set up a little craft project for Ava and Jocelyn (just foam shapes and paper), which they did quietly in the kitchen for 15 or 20 minutes while Molly and I relaxed on the couch. When craft time was over, the girls were treated to a brownie for dessert and one TV show before bedtime. Then it was upstairs for book, prayers, and lights out. I had to gently remind the girls two or three times to keep their voices down, but I didn't REALLY have to get on their cases to settle down or be quiet. After 3 days of being in this house, looking at the same toys and walls and people, I would not have been surprised to be faced with three hyper, stimulation-deprived hellions incapable of settling down for bedtime. Instead, these girls got along, did what I asked, and were very respectful of their Daddy and his need for rest. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: my kids are rockstars. My job as a mother is not always this smooth or easy, but I often feel I have many more easy times than I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment