Monday, October 15, 2012

Opposites Attract

This evening I had a very rare treat: my second girls' night out in just a few days. (To assuage my constant guilt, it's also my second girls' night out in probably 6 months, so it all evens out.) I had a great time sitting and chatting with my friends. We even closed down two different places... never mind that it was by 10pm.

On the way home, however, I was thinking not as much about the nice evening I had, but how lucky I am to have the husband I do. I told him about this dinner out around 2:30 this afternoon. I was a little weary of how he would react to my wanting to go out for the second time in three days while leaving him with all 3 children after a long day at work. He never complained or made a fuss about it. He just said it would be fine and to have a great time.

Part of what also amazes me about my husband involves money. I am pretty damn frugal when it comes to money. I say I come by it honestly: my dad is very money-conscious, and I either paid too much attention to him as a child or just inherited the frugal gene. Either way, I am constantly on Ben about how much money we're spending. Did we need to eat out again this week, or did he really need that item he bought on his way home. I don't mean to be critical, it's just the way I'm wired. Even tonight at dinner I was thinking about the ridiculous amount of money I've spent on food these past few outings. (Probably more a sign of how rarely I go out than anything else.) I also know that if the tables had been turned and it was Ben going out twice in a row, I'd have said something to him about how much it was costing us. He never lets thoughts of cost get in the way of a good time. I greatly appreciate that he lets me go out worry-free, and doesn't throw in my face what I inevitably do to him constantly. This is one of those instances where opposites attract, and the balance each of us brings the other is one of the great ways our marriage works.

No comments:

Post a Comment