Friday, October 19, 2012

Nice Neighbor Part II

I did it again this morning - I locked my keys in the house. We put a new doorknob on the kitchen door a month or so ago, and I've been saying we need to make a spare for that lock, since we only got two keys with the door. Then this morning I had the kids out the door and loading up into the car, when I realized I didn't have my keys in my hand. I got out the spares that are in our lock box, knowing they wouldn't do any good. I tried the front door in hopes that the dead bolt that doesn't have a lock on the outside was undone. Of course it wasn't. So, with me on the verge of tears, we all walked Ava down to our neighbors' house, since Ava was set to carpool this morning anyway. I asked Rachel if we could just sit in her house until I got a hold of Ben. She not only immediately said yes, but started thinking of how to help me get Jocelyn to school and keep my day as uninterrupted as possible. It was so unbelievably nice of her! I know I would do the same thing for one of my neighbors, but I don't expect others to be as generous as I expect myself to be. (And to be perfectly honest, I know for a fact not all of my neighbors would be so kind and helpful.) I finally was able to jimmy my way into my house and get Jocie to school only about 30 minutes late. Rachel provided a small ray of sunshine on what started to be a very rocky day, and I am so very grateful that I could count on her in such a pinch.

(And for the record, as soon as Jocelyn was settled at school I went straight to Home Depot and had 2 spare keys made - will never be unprepared again!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment