Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 2

We survived our first day with Hurricane Sandy. While it has rained nonstop from the time we woke up until now, 15 hours later, it took a while for the winds to pick up. We are sitting in the worst of it now (or so I keep hearing), but other than a flicker or two we have not lost power or experienced any other catastrophic damage. Saying many prayers of thanks for that tonight, and hoping our good fortune continues in the days ahead.

So what did we do with our day off? We played restaurant at breakfast. Ava and Jocelyn played school. We had a dance party. Ben and Ava played on the Wii. Rooms were cleaned, dishes were washed. We all had a brush or two with cabin fever (before noon I might add), and I'm not sure Ben and I had high hopes for how the day would turn out. Lucky for us, our kids were great and made the best of it, and so did we. My favorite part of the day came at the end, when we let Ava stay up late to watch some of Dancing with the Stars with Ben and I. She loves watching it almost as much as I do, but never gets to watch it live since it comes on past her bedtime. No school tomorrow meant the perfect opportunity to let her have the treat of watching some late night TV with Mom and Dad. She loved it and was sad when we sent her to bed at 9:30pm. I was sad to see the day end as well. It may not be the ideal circumstances, but my family is a bunch of rockstars and made Day 2 of our staycation another great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment