Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sunshine Award

When Ava came out of school this afternoon, I noticed she was holding a yellow piece of paper. When she got closer she showed it to me. It was a certificate titled "Sunshine Award." Apparently this award is given to a child in Ava's class who is a good example to his or her classmates. Every so often the teacher gives them a goal - this time it was to raise their hands any time they wish to share - and the teacher then selects one student who excels at meeting this goal. Ava is the second person in her class to receive this award. She was so proud of herself - as we were walking home we caught up with a friend of Ava's who is now in a different class. Ava just held up her certificate, and Zoe immediately said in awe, "Oh, you got a Sunshine Award! You're so lucky!!" I actually saw Ava's chest puff out. She said nothing in response, only beamed a humongous smile back at her friend. It is very rare that I see Ava proud of herself and wanting to share it with others. I celebrate the mature and amazing my daughter is growing into every day; today it was nice to have her celebrate that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment