Tuesday, October 8, 2013

My Seven-Year-Old

At 8:16am seven years ago today, I became a mom. It is a blessing each and every day to have Ava Joy in my life. Today I found myself thinking back on just how much Ava has grown in the last year. At this time last year, Ava had just begun kindergarten. She was learning the basics of reading and writing. Now she reads entire books in a matter of minutes as well as writing many of her own stories. She grew as a dancer, performing in a large production and special quartet with dancers much older than she and doing so with poise and grace. Her level of independence has grown greatly: just in the last few months she has begun to make her own breakfasts and lunches, as well as her sisters' meals. She combs and styles her own hair in the mornings (and does a pretty good job too!). A year ago she was all about wearing dresses or skirts with leggings; these days she typically dons a pair of jeans, something she would fight me tooth and nail on in the past.

I found myself watching the kindergarteners at dismissal this afternoon. They all looked like such BABIES. I'm blown away that Ava was in their shoes just one year ago. And yet, for as much as she has grown physically in the past year, I am more amazed at Ava's mental, emotional, and spiritual development. She has a wisdom beyond her years, and a kindness in her heart that near impossible to match. On this day seven years ago I fell in love with a tiny baby; that love has grown with each day. I have said it before but I am truly honored and blessed to call Ava Joy my daughter. The past seven years have been nothing short of incredible, and I cannot wait to see what the many years ahead have in store for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment