Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

I have to be honest, I think that whoever first came up with trick-or-treating was someone who hated parents. I mean, when else do kids have to go through an entire day waiting for something fun to happen? My children woke up this morning on a virtual sugar high, no candy required, and I wasn't sure how I was going to make it to the end of the day. School definitely helped pass the time (and get the children out of my hair for a few hours). In the end it was a very fun night. Ava was overjoyed with my ability to apply black and white makeup in a zombie-like fashion. She and Jocelyn raced around trick-or-treating with several of our other neighbors while Molly and I went at a much more "leisurely" pace. It actually ended up being nice to go around just Molly and I; it may have been unplanned but it turned out to be some sweet one-on-one time with my youngest. Molly decided after about 30 minutes that she was ready to go home: "I have enough candy, Mommy." (I really question sometimes if that child and I are related.) Everyone was in the house decompressing by 8pm. We have a plastic Target bag FULL of candy from all three kids. That's another small blessing I don't take for granted: my children are more than happy to pool their candy together and have a family candy stash. I remember as a kid completely hoarding MY candy. I might trade one of my candies for a sibling's candy, but there was certainly no sharing of goodies. I'm very glad my children did not inherit that unpleasant trait. There were minimal tears surrounded by much more happiness and fun - a happy Halloween for the whole family.


No comments:

Post a Comment