Saturday, October 12, 2013

Family Ties

My parents have been visiting all of my extended family out in California for the last week. This evening was a big to-do at my dad's mom's house, so when my dad called me at around 6:30 I immediately knew why: he wanted to Skype. We trudged through software uploads and updates and all manner of other computer issues before even connecting. Once we were all online, it was utter chaos. They could barely hear us, my kids were all talking at the same time, no one really knew who they were talking to or why. But for me it was... I don't even know how to describe it. I was able to meet up with my grandma and a few of my aunts three years ago in New York, but I haven't been back to the West Coast in five years. When I was really young we would go out every summer, and even as I got older and the trips became less frequent they were no less special. It was SO special to talk with my aunts and uncles and grandma, even amid the craziness. I miss them so much and hate that we live so far away. (Not to mention the cost of flying all five of us cross country these days...) I wish I could visit with my family more, but was very thankful for the technology that allowed me to see their faces, and show my children some of the people who mean most to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment