Monday, October 14, 2013

Happy Beginnings

After a busy past few days, I was greatly looking forward to a relaxing day off with the girls. We were luckily able to have such a day, and it started off as it does most mornings these days: with singing. Molly transferred from a crib to a toddler bed flawlessly, only experimenting one day during naptime with the ability to get out of bed on her own. She quickly learned that would get her into quite a bit of trouble and has not attempted it since. She normally wakes up around 7am. I know this not because she gets out of bed or leaves her room, but because she sings to herself. Loudly. Without stopping. Some mornings she sings nursery rhymes (twinkle twinkle is always a favorite); sometimes she sings songs she learned at school; occasionally I'll hear a song from the radio; and every so often there's a song that she is making up as she goes along, talking about her toys or friends or whatever seems to be on her mind as she awakens. She will lie in her bed and sing until I go to open her door and tell her she may get out of bed. Half the time I open the door she says to me, "Mom, you messed up my singing!" Ideally I need five or ten minutes of lying in bed to really wake up and be pleasant. It is a gift - a loud, off-key and adorable gift - to be serenaded while I take all the time I need to wake up for the day. It's hard to have a bad day after such a nice beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment