Monday, April 30, 2012

Ava's Lucky Day

Today Ava had a really great day, and that in turn brightened my day as well. She and I began the day early. I had some business to attend to at the DMV, so I took Ava with me when it opened at 8am. Thinking it couldn't possibly take TOO long, I told her when we were done we would go grab a bite to eat at Chick-Fil-A before I dropped her off at school. Of course what should have taken only a few minutes pushed closer to 40 minutes, and I started warning her we might not have time to stop for food. She had behaved so well - sitting quietly with me, sharing intelligent conversation (by 5-year-old standards, anyway) - and when she saw her reward might not happen she dropped her head down in disappointment, but didn't get angry or throw a tantrum. Now, one of my biggest pet peeves is being late. If I'm supposed to be somewhere at a certain time, I HATE to be late. But as I stood there waiting on this super slow transaction to finally be done, I started re-prioritizing. In the grand scheme of things, what will Ava remember more: that she was never late to school, or that she and her mom grabbed a special breakfast when they had a special morning just the two of them? So I went against what I should have done and did what I wanted to do - and the look on Ava's face as we turned into the Chick-Fil-A drive-thru made it all totally worth it. Bonus: she wasn't even really late to school! Probably the last one in the door, but class had officially not started. A win for everyone.

Add to that start to the day Ava shining as nursemaid to a sick and puny Jocelyn (I had to make Ava stop going into the bedroom to make sure she didn't get herself sick!) and finding a 4-leaf clover in our front yard, and it was hands down one of the best days Ava has had in a while. It was great to share those moments with her, and make her feel as special as she really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment