Sunday, April 1, 2012

An Extraordinary Ordinary Day

I have been trying to think for the past hour or so what I was going to write this evening. An hour later, I am still a little stumped. Today was a very ordinary day. There was no special event that took place today. The kids didn't do or say anything that stood out. It was a day like most Sundays. We went to church this morning. For those of you who aren't Catholic, that was a bit of a feat in itself. Today is Palm Sunday, which involves much longer readings and typically makes Mass last WAY longer. To be honest, it was not the girls' best performance at church. I was in the back with Molly for at least half of Mass - it seemed as long as she had the freedom to walk she was perfectly content, but get her anywhere near a pew and she was NOT having it. When we did get to join the family, the older two didn't seem to be much better. However, it was by no means the worst church behavior we've seen out of the girls either. I was not happy with them, but I did not feel completely frazzled either. The rest of the day is much the same - most of us napped, the girls spent a few hours outside, we ate, girls had baths and went to bed with very little fanfare. I feel very content tonight that it was a nice, quiet day. I look back on today and remember Ben cooking with Ava, watching Jocie fall asleep next to me at naptime, and playing peek-a-boo with Molly in the bathtub. All are moments that occur many times a week, but I so often take them for granted. Sometimes it's good to have a break from the crazy of our everyday lives and get to enjoy the smaller things, to appreciate just how special even the not-so-special parts of our day can truly be.

No comments:

Post a Comment