Thursday, April 26, 2012

Happy Birthday, Papa

This afternoon I hit a heck of a rough patch. It's been raining all day, which meant a day indoors with all three girls - I'll let you use your imagination on how fun that was. I was waiting to start dinner until after I had picked up my dad from the metro, which ended up meaning that by 5:30 I still didn't have dinner on the table. Add to that finding out Ben had gotten a pie with the "wrong" crust for Dad's birthday, and my stress levels were reaching quite a high.

Once again, my family re-grounded me and reminded me that sweating the small stuff is pointless. We picked up my dad at the metro, and while he was changing clothes Ava and Jocelyn dashed to grab the cards they had made and hid behind a chair in our living room. They were SO excited to "surprise" Papa for his birthday! We ate dinner (fancy - spaghetti) and then it was on to dessert: chocolate cream pie. Ben, being the stellar husband and son-in-law that he is, went to TWO additional grocery stores looking for pie with normal crust after having already bought a pie with Oreo crust, since my dad prefers the normal. (He was unsuccessful, but the attempt was much appreciated by his frazzled wife.) Even with the "wrong" Oreo crust, the pie was a HUGE hit with everyone. It was a low-key but very nice evening. I hope we made my dad's day a special one - he sure is special to us :)

Blowing out the candle

Pure elation

Trying to scrap up every single drop of pie

Sugar high? What sugar high?

No comments:

Post a Comment