Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I Can Sew!!

I hit a major milestone today. For the first time, I sewed the elastic on Ava's pair of competition ballet shoes. To fully understand the enormity of this, let me explain: the most I have ever sewed in my life is the occasional button, and even that has not been pretty. My mom is a great seamstress, but rather than learn from her I have pretty much used her as my crutch, letting her do any needlework I've needed done. I was really nervous when I started - I sort of knew what I needed to do, but didn't want to mess up Ava's shoes. It took me about an hour and a half to finish them. As I went along, each time the seam went faster, looked neater and more even - the last one looked stinkin' awesome - and my confidence grew. I really was worried about how this would all turn out. I seem to have gotten to a point that I don't like trying new things that I could fail at. But when Ava put her finished shoes on and they fit the way (I think) they are supposed to, it was a proud moment. Today I was on such a high for having battled my fear of sewing and succeeded, even if it really wasn't that difficult a task. I don't often pat myself on the back (frankly because I don't feel I earn it), but today I am willing to toot my own horn and brag about what a great job I did showcasing my novice sewing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment