Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Glimmer of Hope

Jocelyn had somewhat of a roller coaster morning. We had some friends over for a playdate, and while most of the time she was very excited to play and behaved well, every now and then she would talk back (which really is closer to yelling back) or refuse to do something I asked of her. This resulted in time outs - at least three if not four of them. It was unpleasant but necessary, and really part of a typical day in our house.

As soon as our friends left, however, I experienced a first with her. I was in the kitchen preparing lunch when Jocie walked up to me. She said, "Mommy, I'm sorry I yelled and was mean to you. It's not nice to be mean. I made you sad. I don't want to make you sad Mommy. I love you. I'm sorry." This is the first time she has ever apologized on her own. After she gets out of time out she always has to come tell me what she did wrong and say sorry to me (or whoever she wronged). She knows the drill and goes with it. But today I caught a glimpse of the young lady Jocelyn is becoming. She really does understand the things I am teaching her - right and wrong, good and bad. And she doesn't have to be forced to be sorry, she knows when she's hurt someone and can try to make it right all on her own. It's these little moments of maturity that give parents hope that all is not lost, that we not only love our kids more than life but are so proud of the people they are growing up to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment