Sunday, November 10, 2013

Mister Darren

I have the best neighbors. I haven't said that in at least a month, so it's time for another neighborhood warm fuzzy. This morning we came home from church and my children came inside just long enough to change shoes before racing out to play. I had some things to do in the house so I worked inside, taking a peek out my windows every now and then to make sure everyone was doing okay. Shortly after my kids ran outside, our 6-year-old neighbor Zain and his dad Darren (Mister Darren to my kids) came out to play as well. Darren is a favorite on the street - he always goes out of his way to be silly and play with any kids who are around. My girls adore him and get a kick out of giving him a hard time. I could see Jocelyn and Molly wrapping around one of Darren's legs, chasing him up and down the street, and squealing in delight. I went outside after a bit to check on the girls. Molly was sitting on the curb pouting because Mister Darren "had to play football with Zain" and wouldn't give her his undivided attention. I told Molly she could play football too, and while she never did play ball with the boys she was back up laughing and playing in no time. I checked with Darren to make sure he was okay with my kids being outside without me, and he said it was no problem without a moment's hesitation. We are so blessed to have a street full of families who all get along and care about each other's kids as their own. My girls got a kick out of having some Mister Darren time - it was a very bright point to their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment