Monday, November 18, 2013

Concert Night

Tonight Ben and I went to see the American Authors play in DC. We met up with my friend from high school, Paul, his girlfriend Amanda, and another friend of theirs and all went together. We went because the drummer for American Authors is Matt Sanchez, another kid I knew back in the day. Matt and Paul were freshmen drumliners when I was a senior. These boys were some of my "babies" - boys who I loved and loved to look after. Tonight, after more years than I care to think about, I watched Matt play his heart out and ass off during an amazing show. It was a very weird but awesome experience. Before the performance began I was listening to these two girls next to me gushing over the band like the obsessed teens they were. I watched as these guys played and the entire crowd would throw their hands up in the air, jump up and down, and sing the band's lyrics back to them. The best part by far was watching this guy who I had thought the world of as a high school freshman having the absolute best time performing with his band. These guys are incredible - if you haven't checked them out you definitely should. After the show I got a picture with my two little drummers, who now seem to tower over me. We are definitely a long way off from high school, but I was so glad to get to reconnect with these boys. And even though it wasn't really a high school reunion-type thing, it was fun to get to introduce Ben to these guys and share a bit more of my past with him. The concert went way later than I had thought it would, and thanks to long metro and car rides it was after 12:30am by the time we came back home. I will probably pay for this tomorrow, but every second of tonight will be worth the dark circles and aching feet that are sure to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment