Saturday, November 9, 2013

Dear Johnny...

It's Saturday, which of course means another football-watching day in the Seward house. I just finished watching what many are presuming was Johnny Manziel's last game played at Kyle Field. This morning I watched the commentators on College Gameday visibly laughing at the thought that anyone would even think for a second that Manziel would consider returning next year. My instinctual reaction was a painful grimace, followed by indignant anger. Why wouldn't he want to come back next year? Sure, he had a rough offseason (to put it mildly), but he's still got to give credit to A&M for supporting him in all of his success. I'm so tired of Aggieland only being good as a stepping stone. Players and coaches come in, find fast success, then leave after a year or two for something more "prestigious." Why can't we be prestigious enough?

Then I sat down and watched the game. Molly sat and watched most of the first half with me. As Johnny Manziel threw his first touchdown pass of the night, she looked at me, raised her hand for a high five, and said, "Touchdown, Mommy!!" I looked at her first in disbelief, then incredible pride. My two-and-a-half-year-old knows what a touchdown is, and over and over recognized them as we watched the game together.

Jocelyn came inside just as the second quarter began. I casually said, "Hey, Johnny and the Aggies are playing." I'm not sure why, but Jocelyn has become OBSESSED with Johnny Manziel throughout the season. Every time the Aggies are on, she says, "Is Johnny playing?? Johnny wears number 2. He is an Aggie, and the Aggies wear maroon and white. GO JOHNNY!!!" Not a bad mantra for my four-and-a-half-year-old.

I have been so sad and frustrated at the thought of Manziel, and possibly others, deserting my Aggies before their eligibility is up for the glory of playing on Sundays. But as I watched the game today my opinion slowly changed a bit. I was first blown back by the safety, brought about by the 12th Man blocking a punt attempt. A few minutes after the play the player's name was displayed on the screen. I immediately recognized the last name - turned out to be Sam Moeller, a kid from San Antonio whose aunt and uncle I knew from our church. They were some of the first Aggies I met after moving to Texas, and while they were far from obnoxious fans they would light up and talk A&M passionately at any given opportunity. To see their nephew make such a great play as the 12th Man, a walk on who gets to play on the special teams unit for a single game, I was reminded just how special Aggie football really is.

Fast forward to the end of the game, and I'm watching Johnny Manziel lifting his arms up and down to get the crowd cheering louder. I watched him smile and jump up and down with his teammates. I was shaking a little, knowing I was watching the end of an era. (Although Johnny is MORE than welcome to prove me wrong.) Tonight, I am thankful for Johnny Manziel. I am thankful that he revived Aggie football. College Gameday has come to A&M the last two seasons in a row: last year when we opened SEC play against Florida, and this year when we had Alabama come to Kyle Field. Previous to that, Gameday had come to A&M a total of two times in the history of the 20-year show. Manziel put us back on the map. By all accounts, we are now the go-to Texas university for football; the last time that could be said was... well, long before I became an Aggie fan.

That's not to say that I have always been happy with Johnny Manziel. I'll be the first to admit that while I would defend him wholeheartedly, I was really annoyed anytime he behaved in a way that went against (or even suggested he went against) the Aggie Code of Honor that I hold so dear. Again, to never have had a player so in the spotlight before, it was not pleasant to believe he was not representing our university well. But over the months I have realized two things: first, he is still a KID. Did he make mistakes? You bet. But show me a 20-something college guy who hasn't done a stupid thing or two - especially one thrust in the limelight overnight. Which brings me to my other realization: for all the things that Johnny has done, all the choices he has made, he has owned them. He doesn't apologize for being himself, nor does he go out of his way to please the masses. Regardless of whether you agree with the choices he has made, that sense of self has to be admired.

So thank you, Johnny. Thank you for breathing life back into Aggie football. Thank you for giving Aggies everywhere the belief that we can have a consistently successful program. Thank you for being yourself, and forcing many of us to adjust our mindset and accept and embrace you, faults and all. I would give just about anything to see you come back and play another year of Aggie football next year; but if that doesn't end up being the case I understand. And I wish you nothing but the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment