Saturday, November 30, 2013

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

This afternoon Molly had a very hard time going down for her nap. I'm not sure what was going on, but normally my youngest daughter will go down for quiet time in her bed with no problem; today she kept crying and couldn't seem to calm herself. So I finally went in, scooped her up, and brought her into my room to nap with me. I hadn't planned to take a nap but was willing to lie down for a bit if it meant Molly got the rest she needed.

When we lay down, it took a few minutes for Molly to get comfortable. She wiggled and squirmed, tossed and turned. I finally decided to just lie still and close my eyes in hopes that Molly would get the idea. At first she missed the point completely - she was rubbing my eyebrows and poking my nose. But after a few minutes, I could tell she was going still. Not wanting to mess with a good thing, I continued to lie still with my eyes closed.

Then I felt a little hand on my own hand, which was lying on the bed between our faces. We fell asleep together just like that - hands held. It was such a gentle and tender touch. I savored those precious moments lying next to my sleeping toddler as we held hands. It is a memory I will not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment