Saturday, November 16, 2013

Bedtime Story

Today was long. To be fair, it wasn't particularly horrible or traumatizing, but I was tired and grumpy and therefore the so-so day felt much worse than it was. We had been out this evening and got home around 7:40pm. To back track a bit, Ava is supposed to read 20 minutes each day to improve her literacy skills and promote a love of reading. Of course she had not read yet today. So I testily told the girls to put their pajamas on and that Ava had to read until it was time for bed. I put Molly's pjs on and went downstairs to get a bit of a breather.

A few minutes later, I hear Ava reading to her sisters. I'm not even sure which book she was reading, but she was telling the story very animatedly. I could tell by the lack of other noises that Jocelyn and Molly were captivated. Not wanting to break the spell of three quiet children, I sat in the living room until the book was finished. Then we continued bedtime as usual. I am glad first that my kids can handle when I have a lousy day - I feel bad when my crappy mood gets taken out on them. I'm also glad that they will have memories like tonight's to look back on: it's good to have those times with just the sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment