Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Personal Christmas in July

I have never understood the whole "Christmas in July" concept. Christmas is a special time of year, and much anticipated by me as others I'm sure, but why on earth can people not handle waiting an entire year until the next one rolls around? Why must some people celebrate even in a small way halfway through the year?

This afternoon I watched the Texas A&M football team's spring scrimmage, the Maroon and White game. And for the first time I understood where all of those Christmas in July observers were coming from. I hadn't realized just how much I have missed college football. Ever since I heard a few days ago that ESPN would be televising the game I have been anxiously awaiting it like...well, like Christmas. I turned on the TV at 2:50pm to be ready for the 3pm kickoff. The game wasn't anything special - it's just a scrimmage, after all - but I sat for 2 full hours and listened to Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit talk nothing but A&M football. I was in HEAVEN. I got my little taste of college football for the spring, and just can't wait for the fall when college football comes back in full force. Then it will truly be Christmas for this little sports fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment