Saturday, April 6, 2013

Impromptu Morning Hangout

This morning I took Ava to a birthday party for one of her classmates. His party was at a local movie theater, and was scheduled to go from 9am to 11:30am. I had planned that, since the party would be so long, I would drop Ava off, run a few errands, and come back when the party was almost over. When we arrived, however, I noticed that NONE of the parents were leaving. I finally asked the birthday boy's mom if she wanted us to stay or go; she said that while she had planned for parents to stay if we wanted to leave we were more than welcome to. I inferred my own conclusions and sighed inwardly as I saw my productive morning going down the tubes.

What I hadn't realized was that I would gain a nice mini movie date with my oldest child. The kids had a blast running all over the theater trying to find the "perfect" seats, but while Ava started off watching the movie in front of me with one of her friends, she ended up sitting next to me for the second half of the show. The movie wasn't awful - I wouldn't have paid to see it myself but it wasn't that bad. Before we had gone in to the theater some one had asked the last time I saw a movie in a theater. I honest to goodness cannot remember. I have never been a big movie person, and it is so expensive now even for kids that I don't feel it's worth it. But my movie morning with Ava has made me reevaluate my views. I'm not going to start frequenting movies all the time now, but maybe splurging every now and then is worth the quality time I get to spend with someone I love.

1 comment:

  1. you should keep an eye out for the theaters to do a free kids matinee during the week over the summer. they do them here for 6-8 weeks of the summer and usually show the kid movie for 2 days during the week. I'm pretty sure that while movies may not be your thing, free probably is ;)

    ReplyDelete