Sunday, April 28, 2013

A New Week

So last night, just after I had written my post, I was reading the book "The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Anything." I came across a statement saying if you asked a Jesuit how to describe his spirituality he would most likely say to find God in all things. For some reason, this sentence stopped me completely in my tracks. When was the last time I consciously looked for God in my children? I have been so frustrated and upset with them recently that I forgot God ministers to me through my children each day; it is my responsibility to wake up and pay attention.

So today I did just that. When each of my daughters came into my bedroom after waking up, I thought of one thing I love about them. Jocelyn came in first, and immediately snuggled up to me and gave me a huge hug. I love that she is so giving of her affection and doesn't let anyone doubt how much they are loved. Molly woke up next, and when I got her out of her crib she put her face about 3 inches from mine and gave me a grin so big she couldn't open her eyes. This big smile is a new thing for her, and she uses it when she thinks she's getting in trouble, when she's done something she's really proud of, or just when she catches my eye at any random moment. I love that she is learning her smile can brighten someone's day and using this knowledge. Ava woke up last. My love for her today came from all the help she gave me. She has asked to start earning an allowance, and is really starting to get into helping out arpund the house. She is maturing beautifully, and I couldn't be more proud.

Today was still not perfect by any means. However, my perspective changed, which therefore improved my coping mechanisms. I enjoyed my day, and felt it was a terrific start to a fresh new week.

No comments:

Post a Comment