Friday, April 5, 2013

Careful What You Wish For

I am not a morning person. Never have been. Give me 15 to 30 minutes after waking up (hopefully at or after 7am) and I am a completely pleasant person to be around. Less than that, and my responses are generally grunts with my eyes half-open. My husband and oldest daughter are the exact opposite. These sick people (and I say that with the love of a wife and mother) are able to wake up and seconds later be off the block ready to tackle the day. I think Jocelyn and Molly take after me a little more, but even still I often find myself wishing my family could savor waking up and do so slowly the way I would like to.

This morning I got my wish - sort of. Somehow, EVERYONE woke up on the wrong side of the bed. To be fair, I think Ben was not in a terribly bad mood. But all three girls were just plain grumpy this morning. "Don't touch me!" "Leave the TV alone, I'm still watching it!" "Get away from me!" And on and on it went. And while there was a teeny part of me that was glad not to have to deal with what I often find to be obnoxious cheeriness first thing in the morning, I realized that having a house full of grumpy non-morning people is not exactly an ideal situation either. I am not sure I will ever be able to FULLY appreciate the morning people in my family, but I certainly appreciate that there are as many or more of them than me, and that we can balance each other out in those first few moments of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment