Sunday, December 2, 2012

Visions of Sugar Plum Fairies

This afternoon I took Ava and Jocelyn to see the Nutcracker ballet. I cannot begin to aptly describe how excited I have been for this day. I love the Nutcracker - I don't remember a time when I didn't know all of the music, and I used to have the Mikhail Baryshnikov production memorized, I watched it so many times on the VHS we had. (Dating myself, I know) I only remember going once to a live Nutcracker show as a child, but I always hoped to make that a tradition with my daughters. I took Ava two years ago, but last year we somehow never found the time to go. I was determined to catch a performance this year, and was excited that Jocie is now old enough to enjoy going as well.

It was nothing short of magical. We sat down, and the girls were in awe of the auditorium. The lights began to go down, and their eyes grew huge as each dancer entered the stage. They sat quietly the entire time (well, Jocelyn got antsy the last 15 minutes or so) and clapped when everyone else did. We went to a performance in which two of our friends were dancing, so it was even more special for Ava and Jocie to see their "big friends" performing. When the final curtain went down, I looked at Ava and said, "So, what did you think?" She looked at me and simply said: "Best Nutcracker ever." I couldn't agree more. I feel so blessed to have had the chance to share this special holiday tradition with my two big girls. Before bed, Jocelyn told me she wished we could go to the ballet again and again. I am pretty sure they enjoyed our special afternoon (almost) as much as I did.

waiting for the ballet to begin

after the show with friends Casey, Emily, and Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment